Ministry of National Defence
Information and Public Relations Directorate
E-mail:
Contact: 021-319.60.22

 




55 years celebration since the establishment of the 60th Paratroopers Battalion


55 years of existence will be celebrated Tuesday, November 1, 05 at the 60th Paratroopers Battalion HQ in Buzau.

The military ceremony will be followed by demonstrative exercises in the tactical training field and jumps with the parachute.



November 1, 1950 represents the establishment day of the 1st Paratroopers Battalion led by Captain Vasile Cosma, within the Center of Aviation Training in Tecuci according to the Order of Minister Of National Defence.

February 12, 1951 the 1st Paratroopers Battalion was dislocated in Botosani garrison, under the command of Senior Lieutenant Grigore Bastan and after a while the Battalion was re-dislocated in Buzau garrison. September 20, 1952 the Battalion was transformed in the 60th Airborne Regiment subordinated to the Military Air Force Command.

October 2, 1954 the Regiment received the fighting flag and October 25, 1974 received the honorific name “Baneasa-Otopeni” as a sign of gratitude for the paratroopers supreme sacrifice in defending the Northern part of the capital (Baneasa, Otopeni, Pipera and others) in August 1944.

After the re-structure of this unit, 30th of November 1990, the 60th Paratroopers Regiment was transformed in the 60th Paratroopers Battalion with the honorific name “Baneasa-Otopeni”. In 1996, the Battalion received the new fighting flag that, by Presidential decree, in 2004 was decorated with “Serviciul Credincios” National Order in rank of Knight with military signs.


General Staff Public Relations Office

 

© 2017 Ministry of National Defence - Website designed and administered by Information and Public Relations Directorate

Actualizare: 22.08.2017