- 23.-26.04.2012 – NATO Military Committee Reunion and EU Military Committee Reunion, Brussels, Belgium.
- 13-17.09.2012 – NATO Military Committee Conference 2012, at Sibiu.
LAND FORCES STAFF
- 13.06.2012 – Celebration of 165 years since the establishment of “Nicolae Bălcescu” Land Force Academy from Sibiu.
- 23-26.07.2012 – Romanian-American Joint Exercise DACCIAN THUNDER 2012.
- 07.06.2012 – Ministry of Education and Research grants the “European School” title to “Mihai Viteazul” Military High-school, from Alba Iulia.
- 07.06.2012 – Ministry of Education and Research grants the “European School” title to “Dimitrie Cantemir” Military High-school, from Breaza.
- 14-28.07.2012 – Multinational Exercise “Rapid Trident” conducted in Ukraine and Romania.
- April-August 2012 –BLACK SEA ROTATIONAL FORCE 2012 Exercise conducted in several states from the Black Sea area, including Romania – Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Romania, Republic of Macedonia, and USA.
- 17-20.07.2012 - “Blonde Avalanche ROU 12” Exercise conducted at Brăila – Ukraine, Hungary, Slovakia, and Romania.
AIR FORCE STAFF
- The establishment of the Military Aeronautical Authority on January 1st, 2012, within the Air Force Staff.
- Commemoration of 100 years since the first human sacrifice was registered in the Romanian Aviation history–June 20, 1912 – a century ago, the first Romanian military pilot fell on duty– lieutenant Gheorghe CARANDA.
- Repatriation of Romania KAIA LEAD NATION Detachment from Afghanistan– second rotation – Romania was in command of all missions and activities performed within Kabul International Airport, for the second time as part of ISAF (2011-2012).
- 1912-2012 – A century of education in the Romanian Military Aeronautics since the establishment of the first military aviation school.
NAVAL FORCES STAFF
- 09-12.05.2012: Chiefs of European Navies “CHENS” Reunion took place at Oostende, Belgium.
- 15-18.05.2012: Commanders of Black Sea Navies (CBSN) Reunion and the Black Sea Navies Commanders (BSNC) Committee took place at Istanbul, Turkey.
- 28.05-08.06: "EURASIAN PARTNERSHIP DIVE" Multinational Exercise was conducted in Constanţa - Midia area of operations (as part of the cooperation and exchange of diving experience among Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Ukraine and USA’s diving teams.
- 06.-24.08- “Rear-admiral Horia Macellariu” Corvette participated in the twelfth activation of BLACKSEAFOR Task Group.
- SUMMER STORM 2012 Romanian American Joint Exercise.
- “Regele Ferdinand” Frigate participated in Operation “Atalanta” during September 12th –December 14th, 2012. It is for the first time when a Romanian military ship performs a mission in the Southern Hemisphere.
- September 28 – Signing ceremony of the Joint Declaration on the end of the assistance JFC Naples offered Romania for its NATO integration.
- April 22/ July 21 – Frigate “Regele Ferdinand” of the Romanian Navy participated in NATO-led operation “UNIFIED PROTECTOR” to implement Resolution 1973 of the UN Security Council, concerning Libya.
- April 1 – Ceremony for taking over the command of the Kabul International Airport in Afghanistan, by the Romanian Air Force for one year.
- March 15 – Ceremony for the return home of the ROFND XXI detachment form Kosovo, marking the end of Romanian participation with combat troops of company level in NATO KFOR mission in this TO.
- February 24 / March 4 – Romanian Air Force assissted the evacuation of over 300 Romanian and foreign citizens from Libya. This was the first air bridge set by the Romanian Air Force for the evacuation of citizens in danger in a foreign country, after the WW2.
- August 14 - Romania took over the command of BLACKSEAFOR for one year. The command of this Navy Group is ensured, according to protocol, by the six riverane states to the Black Sea that contribute forces: Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russian Federation, Ukraine and Turkey.
- July 29 – Ceremony marking the end of Romanian participation in allied operation “IRAQI FREEDOM” in Iraq. Since the beginning of the mission in 2003, Romanian Armed Forces ensured 12 rotations of national detachments in this TO – in this period over 8400 Romanian troops conducted missions along American, British, Italian and Polish contingents.
- April 2/4 – NATO Summit hosted by Romania, organized in Bucharest, with the participation of about 3,000 dofficials from 49 countires, 26 member states and 23 PfP partner countries.
- July 12 – Romania took over the command of SEEBRIG for two years, while the headquarteres deployed to Istanbul/Turkey for four years, from 2007 to 2011. From 2003 to 2007 SEEBRIG HQ was in Constanţa, Romania.
January 1 – Romania became a member of the European Union. The statute has military implications as well, concerning joint military cooperation programmes and interoperability among member states, as well as participating in exercises, missions and military operations under EU aegis.
- Octomber / December – Romanian Navy involved for the first time in operation “ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR” , with frigate „Regele Ferdinand”. Participating in this mission continues in the following years when frigate “Regina Maria” participates as well. Operation “ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR” represents NATO’s response to the terrorist attacks on the USA, on September 11, 2001; for the first time in the history of the Alliance Article 5 was invoked and as a consequence it was launched in October 2011 in order to counter terror and to prevent terrorist acts in riverane states to the Mediterranean Sea. NATO ships conduct patrol missions, control and escort of commercial ships through the Gibraltar. As of April 2003 the first inspections on ships were made to deter weapon proliferation and terrorist movements.
- March 29 – Prime Minister Adrian Nastase participated in the Ceremony of presentation of Romania’s instruments of join NATO, in Washington, D.C.
- April 2 – The festivity of hoisting the national flags of the seven new NATO member states, Romanian inclusive, occurs in NATO HQ, in Brussels
- July – An Infantry Battalion and a Military Police Detachment are deployed in Nasiriyah, marking the beginning of the Romanian military contribution to “Iraqi Freedom” Operation
- November 21/22 – Romania is invited to join NATO together with other six European states at the Prague Summit
The first Romanian troops are deployed to Afghanistan within the ISAF operation
- January 26 - Romania signs the Partnership for Peace Programme
The Great Staff becomes the General Staff
- December 22 – The communist regime is overthrown by the popular revolt in which the armed forces participated, too.
- May 14 – The Soviet Union launches the space shuttle “Soiuz 40” with Romanian - Soviet crew: Senior Lieutenant Dumitru Prunariu became thus the first Romanian spaceman who was onboard of the Soviet shuttle.
- December 27/28 – The Session of the Great National Assembly adopts the Law on the organization of the national defence of Romania (Law 14/1972), stipulating the national defence system comprises two categories of forces: permanent and non permanent
- August 20/21 – Romania by the decision taken by Nicolae Ceausescu, does not participate alongside the Warsaw Treaty troops in the invasion of Czechoslovakia.
The first common exercise within the Warsaw Treaty is held in Dobrogea, SE of Romania.
The body of NCOs was re-established. It had been repealed in 1950.
- June-July – The Soviet troops, stationed since 1944 on the Romanian territory are retreated after the negotiations between Gheorghe Gheorghiu Dej and N.S. Hrusciov through Emil Bodnaras
- May 14 – Romania is founding member of the Warsaw Treaty Organization. The first commander was the Soviet Marshall I.S. Konev. The Treaty dissolved its military structures in February 1991, and it was repealed on July 1991.
- March – The Ministry of Defence becomes the Ministry of the Armed Forces. In 1972 it will return to the old denomination.
The Romanian Communist Party is officially present within the Armed Forces through the political military structure called the Armed Forces Superior Political Directorate.
- February 10 – Romanian delegation signs the Treaty of Peace with the Allied and Associated Powers in Paris
- December 30 – Romania becomes Republic. King Mihai I was forced to abdicate.
- November 19 – The first post war parliamentary elections, faked by the communists, when the military got the right to vote for the first time.
- May 12 – The Romanian armed forces its participation alongside the United Nations for the final victory against the Nazi Germany, after 260 days of combat. In nine months, the military effectives engaged in combats were 540,000 combatants.
- April 4 – US heavy air raid on Bucharest
- April 5 - US heavy air raid on Ploiesti
- August 23 – Romania joins the United Nations. One of the most important moments of World War II. Chief of General Staff is appointed the Division General Gheorghe Mihail. Through the High Order no. 1, the King assigns him to conduct “the operations of all the armed forces – Land, Air and Navy- till the establishment of command relations for the future cooperation with the UN troops”.
- October 25 - The Romanian territory is liberated from the foreign occupation. Since October 1959 - the Day of the Romanian Armed Forces. The Day of the Romanian Armed Forces was October 2, between 1951-59; it was the day approved by Stalin for the Romanian prisoners from the Soviet Union’s territory, in 1943, to establish the Division of volunteers “Tudor Vladimirescu”.
- February 2 – End of Stalingrad battles in which the Romanian troops also participated. The Romanian armed forces had 155,010 casualities.
- July 1 – Sevastopol is occupied by the Romanian troops.
- July 4 – The German and Romanian troops conquer Crimea
- June 28-July 3 –Hastyretreat ofthe Armed Forces and the administration from Bessarabia, after the Soviet ultimatum.
- July 7 – The first military radio broadcast “Ora armatei” (Military Hour)
- August 30 – The Vienna Diktat, by which Northern Transylvania is incorporated by Hungary.
- September 7 – South of Dobrodgea is incorporated by Bulgaria.
- December 6 – The first rules of “Mihai Viteazu“ Order is issued.
- June 22 – The Romanian armed forces alongside the German armed forces start the attack against the Soviet Union for the freedom of Bessarabia and North of Bucovina.
- July 5 – Cernauti town is liberated
- July 29 – General Ion Antonescu decides the continuation of military actions over the Nipper river due to political and military reasons
- October 16 – After two months of heavy battles, the troops of the 4th Romanian Army conquer Odessa. The Romanian armed forces lost about 92545 persons (wounded, killed and missing).
- September 1 – The Second World War starts
- September 6 – Romania declares its neutrality
- October 15 – The Ministry of Procurement for the Armed Forces is established
- April 28 – The Law no. 125 is promulgated through the High Decree no. 1536/1932 on modification of Law on the armed forces organization. According to the law, “The General Staff is the body through which the Ministry of National Defence , leads and controls the Armed Forces preparations for war”.
Decree of establishment of the Anti-Air Defence Command
- August 6 – Strike of workers in Lupeni (Hunedoara County), repressed by the Army
- June 23 – The Law on the Armed Forces organization is voted; it is the base of the Romanian military system between the two World Wars.
- May 17 – Burial of the Unknown Soldier’s remains in Parcul Carol in the Capital. In 1958 they were moved to Marasesti Mausoleum. The remains of the Unknown Soldier were once more brought to Bucharest on October 25, 1991.
- September 14 – Signing of Tripartite Military Convention of the Little Understanding.
- December 18 – The National Military Museum is established through royal decree.
- September 16 – Signing of the military convention between Romania and Poland.
- March 3 - Defensive Alliance Convention between Romania and Poland
- April 23 – Defensive Alliance Convention between Romania and Czechoslovakia
- June 7 – Defensive Alliance Convention between Romania and the Kingdom of Serbians, Croatians and Slovenes marking the Little Understanding (Romania, Czechoslovakia, the Kingdom of Serbians, Croatians and Slovenes).
- August 4 – The Romanian troops occupy Budapest as a result of military actions initiated by the Hungarian Republic of Counsels (Bolshevik).
- January 10/23 – Romanian army enters Bessarabia at the repeated request of authorities in order to restore order and peace.
- March 5/18 – The preliminary Treaty with the Central Powers is signed in Buftea.
- March 27/April 9 – Union of Bessarabia with Romania by decision of the Representative Assembly (Sfatul Tarii).
- November 15/28 – Union of Bucovina with Romania.
- November 18/December 1 – Marea Adunare Nationala (Great National Assembly) in Alba Iulia decided the union of Transylvania with Romania Kingdom. National Day of Romania.
- January-June – Romanian Armed Forces’ reconstruction with support of the French Military Mission led by General Henri Mathias Berthelot.
- July 11/24 – July 19/August 1 – The Marasti Battle. The 2nd Romanian Army heavy offensive (led by General Averescu) in cooperation with the 4th Russian Army ended with a tactical success, not strategically exploited due to the Eastern front evolution.
- July 24/August 6- August 6/19 – The Marasesti battle. The Romanian army led by Generals Constantin Christescu and Eremia Grigorescu repeal the German-Austro-Hungarian offensive led by Field Marshall August von Mackensen. It is the greatest battle on the Romanian front in the First World War.
- November 26/December 9 – The Truce between Romania and the Central Powers is concluded in Focsani.
- August 4/17 – ThePrivate Council in Cotroceni decides Romania's entrance in the war with the Antante.
- August 15/28 – Romanian Armed Forces pass the Carpathians in Transylvania.
- August 19/ September 1 - August 24/September 6 – Turtucaia battle is a disaster for the Romanian troops; beginning of retreat in Dobrogea.
- September 18/October 1 – September 22/October 5 – General Alexandru Averescu initiates and leads the counter-offensive on the Southern front, in Dobrogea, the so-called “Manevra de la Flamanda” (Flamanda Maneuver). After the initial success the action is stopped and the troops are moved on the Transylvanian front.
- September 26/October 9 – King Ferdinand I establishes the highest Romanian Order “Mihai Viteazu” by Royal Decree.
- November 16/29 – November 20/December 3 – TheGerman-Austro-Hungarian offensive in Campia Munteniei; battles on Neajlov and Arges. Bucharest is left behind and afterwards occupied by the German-Austro-Hungarian troops in November 23/December 6. The central administration is moved to Iasi.
March – Mobilization of different Romanian contingents.
- July 21/August 3 – ThePrivateCouncil in Sinaia decides the neutrality of Romania in WW I.
- April 1/14 - Law on organization of Army, repealing the 1868 Law .
- June 23/july 6 – Mobilization of the Army for the participation in the Second Balkan War; the General Headquarter is established and functioned till August 22/September 4, 1913 in Bucharest, Corabia, Turnu Magurele, Samovit, Cervenibeg, Pleven, Zimnicea.
- June 27/July 10 – Romania declares war to Bulgaria and enters the Second Balkan War.
- May 28/April 9 – Law on Navy’s organization.
- August 8/20 – The War Superior School for staff officers is established by High Decree no. 2073/1889
Works on Bucharest fortifications.
- October 18/30 – Romania joins the Central Powers military block by signing the Romanian-Austro-Hungarian Secret Treaty.
- March 14/26 – Romania becomes a Kingdom.
- February 12/24 – Romanian troops enter Vidin.
- October 8/20 –Victorious Romanian Army enter Bucharest on Mogosoaia Bridge and, since then, the street is called Calea Victoriei..
- April 4/16 – Signing of the Romanian-Russian convention, authorizing the Russian army to pass through the Romanian territory observing its integrity.
- April 6/18 – Romanian Armed Forces’ mobilization.
- May 9/21 – The Assembly of Deputies and then the Senate adopt the motions on the Proclamation of Independence of Romania.
- July 19/31 – Telegram of Great Duke Nicolae asking the Romanian King Carol for the Romanian army intervention across the Danube river.
- November 28/December 10 – Conquest of Pleven after a failed attempt of Osman Pasha to get out the encircling.
- July 17/29 – Law on organization of the armed power.
- “Romania”, the first two-gun river steam fighting ship is launched in Giurgiu.
- February 1/13 – Small ammunition and artillery workshops appear in Bucharest.
- July 22/August 3 – Military Schools from Bucharest and Iasi are joined in Bucharest based on “Rule of Military School from Bucharest” (1860), initially a five-year education system, then reduced to four (since 1865). Officially, the courses are opened in autumn 1862.
- May 13/25 – the Law on principles and development of training within the United Prinicipalities Armed Forces, that were in fact the same armed forces.
- January 24/February 5 – Colonel Alexandru Ioan Cuza is elected in Bucharest as Ruller of Tara Romaneasca by the Elective Assembly.
- July 23/ August 4 – “Observatorul militar” the first military publication is issued in Bucharest. Editor: Gr. Lipoianu. The present weekly military publication continues this tradition.
- November 12/24 – Romanian General Staff is established through the High Order of the Day no. 83 signed by Ruller Alexandru Ioan Cuza.
The Chronology was made by the Service of Military Archives and Documentation